I've been a librarian since 2005, when Carleton College's Gould Library hired me as the Librarian for Languages and Literature.
One of my favorite parts of this job is working closely with the students and faculty I serve, coming up with ways to effectively facilitate teaching and learning. It is so exciting to design learning activitiess, and then work with students throughout the course of their assignments and actually see the learning happen.
When I'm not in the library the time flies by as I read (preferably in a good coffee shop), write, cook, take walks (except during the middle of winter), watch TV, and play with my gigantic cat, Pippin. (Some day I will learn to read only one book at a time, but I haven't yet developed that skill.) Other hobbies I enjoy when I get the chance include swing dancing, knitting, weaving, spinning, cross stitching, and singing.
Collaborations, Committees, Working Groups
- Gould Library - Joint coordinator of Research/IT with the SCIC supervisor (2007-2008)
- Gould Library - Library Student Worker Committee (2007-2008)
- Carleton College - Campus Copyright Working Group (since 2005)
- Carleton College - Course Management Selection, Implementation, and Management (since 2005)
- Bridge Consortium - Public Access Working Group for the Bridge Consortium (since 2005)
- MnObe Group - Future of the Catalog (Since 2007) -- wiki
- MnObe Reference Group - Steering Committee (2007-2008)
- Gould Library - Library Copyright Working Group (2005-2006: group disbanded and joined the campus-wide copyright group)
- Gould Library - Staff Development Committee (2006-2007)
- Carleton College - Periodically invited to join the Learning and Teaching Center Advisory Committee (2006-2007)
Zhang, Jin and Iris Jastram. "A Study of Metadata Element Co-Occurrence." Online Information Review. 30.4 (2006): 428-453.
Zhang, Jin, and Iris Jastram. "A Study of the Metadata Creation Behavior of Different User Groups on the Internet." Information Processing and Management. 42.4 (2006):1099-1122.
Formal Professional Development
- Computers in Libraries 2007 - Sponsored by Information Today (April 16th to 18th, 2007)
- ACRL 2007 - Sponsored by ACRL (March 29th to April 1st, 2007)
- "ILS Futures Forum." - Sponsored by CLIC (November 9th, 2006, Como Conservatory)
- Notes for the keynote session with Roy Tennant are here (PDF).
- ACRL Immersion 2006 (July 28 to August 3, 2006, Simmons College)
- Reference Symposium - Sponsored by MINITEX (May 15, 2006, UMN)
- ARLD Day 2006 - Sponsored by MLA (April 28, 2006, UMN)
- Computers in Libraries 2006 - Sponsored by Information Today (March 22 to March 24, 2006, Washington Hilton)
- "Information Literacy and Writing Across the Curriculum: Synergies for Student Learning." Sponsored by the Associated Colleges of the Midwest (July 31 to August 2, 2005, Carleton College)
- I was part of a group of librarians leading discussion sessions. The notes for these discussions are here.
I often experiment with new online technologies to see how they may make my job or my student's research processes easier. Occasionally, I need a place to put examples such technologies up online. When this happens, I link to these experiments from my Ideas page.
Just For Fun
I like to put pictures of my cat (Pippin), flowers, events, and anything else that catches my eye up on Flickr. I also have a Facebook profile and a blog which chronicles my musings about libraries, education, technology, and anything else I feel like publishing for the world to see.